Hopetoun House is Scotland’s finest stately home . On the outskirts of Edinburgh, Hopetoun has a 6,500 acre farm which produces beef, lamb and poultry plus wild game sold directly through Hopetoun Farm Shop located on the Estate.
Outlander tours feature a visit to Hopetoun House, Lallybroch, Fort William and Wentworth Prison . The tour costs £180 for up to four visitors . Phone 07305-294773 for more details or contact us online .
More importantly for Outlander fans Hopetoun is a key location .
Many locations within Hopetoun House and the grounds have been used throughout Season 1, 2, 3 and 4. Midhope Castle is the external location of the Jamie Fraser family home known as ‘Lallybroch’.
Outlander at Hopetoun House
Here are a few notable examples of scenes filmed within our stately home and grounds:
The House is the setting for the home of the Duke of Sandringham in Series 1. These scenes were filmed in the Red Drawing Room
- The Sea Trail and West Lawn to the rear of the House was the location for the dual between the Duke and the head of the McDonald clan.
- The rear steps of the house were the scene for a sword fight in Season 1
- The courtyard behind the Stables Tearoom features regularly as a Parisian street location in Series 2.
The House is open to the public from Easter until the last Sunday in September.
Midhope Castle – Outlander’s Lallybroch
Located on the wider Hopetoun Estate is Midhope Castle which is the location for fictional Lallybroch, the family home of character Jamie Fraser. Midhope Castle dates back to the 15th Century and although the exterior is relatively intact the castle is derelict inside.
- £3.50 per person – “CASH ONLY” – payable at the Midhope Castle Ticket Kiosk
- Outlander tours feature a visit to Hopetoun House, Lallybroch, Fort William and Wentworth Prison . The tour costs £180 for up to four visitors . Phone 07305-294773 for more details or contact us online .